Whether you drive a stick shift or automatic, the fact remains gears need to shift based on engine speed to keep your vehicle driving down the road. Transmission replacement is among the most expensive car repairs you’ll encounter, making it critical to keep yours in proper working order. Our team is here to help with transmission repair services you can count on.
Eight Signs Your Car Needs Transmission Repair
You don’t have to be a mechanic to understand the components at play that keep your transmission running smoothly, and possessing this knowledge gives you the upper hand in proper maintenance that leads to more mileage.
Without getting too complicated, your transmission works by using pressurized fluid to power the gears. When things go awry, your vehicle has ways of letting you know you need to give your transmission some TLC. Quick response can make all the difference. Let’s take a look at eight key signs you may need to have your transmission repaired.
- You’re beginning to have trouble starting your vehicle, especially in cold weather.
- Your gears slip while you’re driving.
- You notice a burning smell.
- Red fluid is leaking around your vehicle.
- There seems to be a delay between the time you push the gas pedal and when the vehicle begins to move.
- Your gears are shifting hard, causing jerking or delays as you try to accelerate.
- You hear a grinding noise as your gears shift.
- Your check engine light is on.
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, continuing to drive is only going to make the problem worse. Not only can this create much more expensive issues down the line, but it can also put you and the ones you love in danger in the event your vehicle stops running on the interstate or at a busy intersection. Knowledge is power, and getting to the root cause of the issue early is always the best course of action.
Getting the maximum use out of your vehicle’s transmission requires effort, and finding a trusted automotive partner with your best interest in mind should be a priority. As you shop around to get the best deal on your upcoming transmission repair, there are some key pointers to keep in mind:
- Online reviews: If a transmission repair shop engages in sketchy practices, chances are there have been complaints. The Internet is at your disposal, making it easy to learn from others’ mistakes.
- Lower isn’t always better: An unrealistically low price quote over the phone is often meant to attract you to the shop only to be disappointed.
- Persistence in transmission flushing: If your transmission repair professional insists your transmission will return to excellent condition after a flushing, be on high alert. Unless there is an obvious reason in doing so, flushing your transmission can void your warranty.
Are transmissions easy to fix?
It depends on the scope of the problem. Sometimes, it can be as easy as changing the fluids, but, especially on higher-mileage vehicles, it can cost several thousand to completely reconstruct.
Should I just buy a new vehicle if my repairs are extensive?
While it can require a large investment, choosing transmission repair can save you in the long run. You won’t be incurring a new financing obligation and the interest that comes with it while adding thousands of miles to your existing vehicle.
How long can I expect a repaired transmission last?
A restored transmission will typically last between 30,000-50,000 miles. Remember, this is an average expectation. What really counts is the quality of the reconstruction. When you rely on professionals like the ones here at Action Transmission, it’s entirely possible to enjoy the mileage you can expect out of an original transmission.
Your Automotive Partner to Get the Most Out of Your Transmission
It’s our team’s goal to help you prevent big problems by addressing little ones as they arise. However, we’re also here to pick up the pieces if your transmission needs replaced. No matter the situation, we have the tools and expertise to take care of all your transmission needs. Stop by Action Transmission Woodstock today for a quote.